St Mary Axe

The Worshipful Company of Fletchers rented a Hall in St Mary Axe from Holy Trinity Priory from at least the beginning of the sixteenth century.  Following the Priory’s dissolution in 1531, the Company appears to have purchased the freehold of the Hall from the Crown’s successor in title Sir William Pykerynge sometime prior to 1547/47.

The Hall was leased out from 1747 and the Fletchers met elsewhere (eg the George and Vulture Tavern).  In 1863 a lease was concluded whereby the lessee would demolish the existing Hall and replace it with ‘a substantial warehouse of five stories’.  In 1895, following two serious fires gutting the property in the early 1890s, another Hall was built, under the supervision of the Company but for use by subsequent lessees and under-lessees as offices.

The Company finally sold the freehold of the Hall and its site in 1933.  The front wall of the property still remains on the eastern side of St Mary Axe, with the Company arms in stone mounted high on the pediment of the façade as shown above.


From ‘The Fletchers’ Company of London 1969 – 2010’ by Michael Roberts MA MCLIP, Honorary Archivist to the Company